Is it time yet?

Confession...

Gunnar is still nursing. Yes. He is 11 days shy of his 2nd birthday and yes he is STILL nursing.

I for one...am shocked.

I always said "once my child is old enough to ask for the boob he's old enough to stop"...well he probably was old enough to stop when he started signing "milk" at 11 months or when he started saying it at 13 months, but I didn't let that stop me.  Gunnar still asks for "milk" mostly in the early mornings and before he goes to bed (though his request now sounds more like "Mommy. May. I. PLEASE. Have. Some. MIIIIILLLK?")
I try to limit it to once or twice a day.
I'm a sucker...
I know if I nurse him before he naps he'll fall asleep and then I'll know exactly how much nap he gets because he doesn't play around in his crib for 45 minutes before falling asleep. It's easier that way...
Our pediatrician has always said its a two-way decision, "if you're both still happy doing it...then keep it up, but if at some point one of you wants to stop then you need to start taking those steps toward weaning." Ugh...
I'm not sure what I want...society wants me to stop...I know that. (I'm pretty sure my whole family looks down on me in shame for keeping this going so long) But I also know it makes my life easy...

I know Gunnar has no intention of quitting any time soon so if someone has to make the first move...its gotta be me.

He'll be 2 in 11 days...seems like an appropriate age to pull the plug. But is it right for us? I still don't know...

Comments

  1. You know that Emma is just a few days younger than Gunnar and she's still nursing twice a day. She asks to "nurse" and it's the cutest thing! I plan to continue through flu season because we don't get flu shots... then, we're moving Feb/March and I don't want to wean her then unless she initiates. After we've moved and are settled, I'll start to cut her back further. Right now, I have to have rules around it, otherwise she'd never let go... We snuggle in bed when she first wakes up and she gets to nurse then for however long she wants to. At night, before bed, I give her 5 minutes and that's it. She's fine with the limits.

    Also, I've just allowed family to think I'm no longer breastfeeding her. Don't ask, don't tell kind of thing. It's been a long time since I've nursed her in front of anyone so I assume that they assume she's done.

    Whatever... all the research seems to show that the benefits just continue to grow as the baby gets older. And I'm pretty sure I read that your risk of breast cancer decreases by almost 5% for each year you breastfeed, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirstin, Emily nursed until she was three. I knew she was my last baby, and I cherished that time with her. There is no shame. And I can't believe anyone in our family would think badly of you. You do what you think is best for you and Gunnar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirstin, Emily nursed until she was three. I knew she was my last baby, and I cherished that time with her. There is no shame. And I can't believe anyone in our family would think badly of you. You do what you think is best for you and Gunnar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish my son wanted to nurse longer...it was really hard on me emotionally when he stopped at 17/18 months (and I didn't have any plans on extended nursing...it was just special). Don't let society tell you what is best for you and your child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is 14 months and I also told myself that when she for old enough to ask for it, then it was time to stop... But it's just not that simple, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We support you Kirstin! Whatever is right for you is your decision. I did about 18 months with each of mine but was pregnant with the next one by then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We support you Kirstin! Whatever is right for you is your decision. I did about 18 months with each of mine but was pregnant with the next one by then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts