Working mama

So within the last 5 weeks I suddenly went from having no immediate plans for the fall to: being cast as the iconic role of Blanche Dubois in A Streetcar Named Desire and accepting a part time lecturer position at Harold Washington College.

With almost no time to prepare a syllabus and memorize a 3 hour long play (where I do most of the talking) I had no other choice but to ship Gunnar off to Grandparents land for another two week stay.
As hard as it was to watch him go, I knew I wouldn't be able to accomplish everything with him around...so off he went. Thank God for supportive parents and parents-in-law.  I spent almost every waking hour of those two weeks memorizing lines and prepping my lesson plans and syllabus.

Now 4 weeks into school and 1 week into performances I'm starting to get the swing of life as a part-time working mommy. I am teaching two sections of Theatre in the Modern World to students ranging in ages from 18-65 in both classes. I was lucky to snag two class periods that would work around John's schedule so that we don't have to waste any money on childcare this semester.  And luckily my college is an easy 7 block walk from my husbands job. So John takes extra long lunch hours on Mondays and Wednesdays and takes G to the park or around the shopping centers for 2 hours while I teach my first section from 12:30-1:50 and then we trade off again while I get to walk around with G for 2.5 hours before my next class at 5:30pm when John then takes G home on the train with him. It's been working pretty well.

I've always been a juggler...finding innovative ways to do all the things I want to do. And I am so glad to be right here where I am.

I am not sure I have ever been more proud to be who I am.
I am truly living a dream. Mother. Performer. Educator. Crafter.

I'm trying to slow down and appreciate the next two weeks as best I can...because I know I will need a good break from performing once this show closes...and I know I'll miss it.


Comments

Popular Posts