How I survived the plague...

Well it's Sunday night...
I have officially made it through 96 hours of the stomach bug plague without succumbing to its power (she types while knocking on her hardwood kitchen table)
It hit Gunnar pretty hard on Wednesday night...
Then John got it hard on Friday night...
...and I just waited for it to take me too.
But I did so with a fighters instincts...and it paid off.
Here's how I survived the plague:

1.  I starved it out...
probably in fear of catching it and in fear of the violent out come I stuck to lots and lots of fluids: Juices, tea, soups, water and gatorade. I had a few pieces of toast, bananas and yogurt...and that was it. Bland, mild...minimal.

2.  I washed my hands like a crazy person...
I'm pretty sure I was washing my hands every 2-3 minutes...with hot water and LOTS of soap, I even sang happy birthday...crazy. My hands may or may not be cracking from over scrubbing.

3.  I sanitized...and sanitized some more...
When no sink was near...I did it everywhere...I might have even threatened to sanitize the cat after hearing he slept next to my husband all night.

4. I slept on the couch...
This isn't about love, I love my husband, but I'm not going to share a bed just so we can romantically vomit in side by side buckets...its not my bag...

5. I did yoga...
there were some moments when I could feel my body giving way to the illness...in those moment I chose to breathe it out...no joke. Down-dog, go, up-dog, breathe...its almost astonishing how much better I felt after after 5 minutes of yoga...word.

6. I got out of the house...
not enough to expose my kid to more germs but enough to get some fresh air and to not go crazy.

7.  I left the sickies at home and saw some theater...
Once John was well enough to get out of bed I left him with G for the night and went and saw 2 shows with friends. At the start of the night I was terrified the plague might hit me while we were at one of the shows...but as soon as the lights went down I let myself relax and enjoyed myself. Laughter and enjoyment could possibly be the best medicine around. And you can't beat back to back live theatre coupled with a day of scary here-goes-nothing blocking crazy scene rehearsal the next morning, followed by an energizing company meeting...I'm surrounded by theatre and life and it probably is the number one thing that saved me this weekend...that I'm sure of.

Now that I've put this out there...I'm probably destined to get sick tomorrow...but the fact that I've held it off this long is a feat worth blogging about!

Comments

Popular Posts