Passing the torch

I remember a time, not so long ago when I alone (or at least so I liked to think) provided full entertainment for family and friends alike with my dimples, charm and all around cuteness.  I would don pink tutus and twirl around the house hoping to garner praise from anyone within eye sight (side note:  I never took former ballet as a child like my sister who was probably superior in such twirling...but that didn't stop me from trying to obtain the optimal "talented" award)  I believe I had a true talent for getting people to watch me...let's be honest, I am an actress partially because I still crave such accolades.  But as I grew older, I remember feeling pings of jealousy for my younger cousins who were younger and cuter and more capable of grabbing the attention of others.


But now as I watch my adorable nephew sing and perform concerts on his copious instruments and my own son attracting crowds with his flapping arms and giggles, I find myself surprised that the jealousy that I used to harbor for anyone getting more attention than me has turned to pride and joy of watching that torch of entertaining pass on to the next generation. And here I sit back relaxed with an honest smile stretched across my face, the old entertainer now the one being entertained...enjoying my new role as "audience member". 

It's exhausting entertaining the masses!


Comments

Popular Posts