Happy Mother's Day!!

I'm pretty sure I've waited my whole life to be where I am now.  I mean among the ranks of greatness...in the club of motherhood. It's actually a very common club...most women join in at some point in their life.  So why does it feel like I've joined the most elite and exclusive club in town? Just think of all the great women who have joined: The Virgin Mary, Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Clinton,my grandmother, my mom, my sister...to name a few.
But I also I think it's because with the word "Mother" comes a weight of responsibility and accountability...I am after all responsible for someone else's life.  I guess I always equated becoming a mother to selflessness, putting all others before yourself...like a saint almost. But I think there is more to it than that. I think I've learned more about love now that I'm a mother... I've learned the truth of unconditional love yes, but I've also learned how important it is to love myself too.  I didn't expect that out of motherhood. I didn't think that was part of the journey...but it is. Loving myself and honoring who I am is one of the best things I can do for my family...After all, I am a role model now and if I want my son to love and respect himself than I must SHOW him how to do it.

 I find myself PROUD to be amongst such greatness as we celebrate Mother's Day today.
To my sister, my mother, my mother's mother and her mother before her and so on, To My mother-in-law, my cousins, aunts, friends and colleagues who are all mothers or mothers-to-be...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! You'll be told many times today how much you are loved by your husbands and children and grandchildren but remember TO LOVE YOURSELF as much as they do...you deserve that.

"Women do not have to sacrifice personhood if they are mothers. They do not have to sacrifice motherhood in order to be persons. Liberation was meant to expand women's opportunities, not to limit them. The self-esteem that has been found in new pursuits can also be found in mothering."
                                                                                           - Elaine Heffner

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."
                                                                                      -Washington Irving







                                                                                      
AND THE WINNER OF THE HAPPY HOOT GIVE AWAY IS EMILY TATE FRANK who guessed 17...I changed 18 diapers. Congratulations EMILY!!!

Comments

Popular Posts