The Great Diaper Challenge: Round 1

So yesterday I was finally able to go out and pick up small packages of the diapers I will test in "The Great Diaper Challenge".   I was able to find Seventh Generation, Nature Babycare and Tender Care diapers all at Babies R Us, all priced at the same price of $10.99 (Now we all know the more you buy the more you save so in the overviews I will be comparing prices in bulk from Amazon.com).  I also found g diapers there...BUT...clearly g diapers holds the market on disposable lined diapers and I found the cost to be too pricey for even a trial run.  I couldn't get over the fact that I'd need to spend $30 for a pack of 2 outer shell diapers and then $15 for a pack of only 32 liners.  The liners were  $4 more expensive than any of the above mentioned diapers with fewer included AND it wasn't even a full diaper! I just couldn't get over this...and so sorry g diaper lovers...until the price comes down (or someone wants to lend me their outer shells and knows how to get them for much cheaper) this frugal mommy can't fathom spending that much on diapers.

I was unable to find Tushies and was wondering if anyone knows where I could buy a small pack of these for my trial??? Anyone??

So here's how The Great Diaper Challenge will work. I plan to test each brand through an entire small pack (however that many may be).  I will post my initial response on the first day and then keep track of the number of blow outs and pee thru's that occur during the course of the pack.  I will also weigh in on added features and drawbacks of each diaper.  Once I've used up the last of each pack I will post the results and then have a final overview once all brands have been tried and announce the winning brand, or the one this family will decide to "subscribe" to on Amazon.com.


So First up:  Nature Babycare

Nature Babycare By Naty features eco-friendly diapers made in Sweden (Gunnar's scandanavian routes are excited about this fact!)

The size 2 diapers which we are using are for babies 12-18 lbs.
Seriously thin diapers!

The diaper features:
  • 100% chlorine free
  • Based on biodegradable materials
  • Biodegradable back sheet film based on maize (corn)
  • 100% GM free
  • 100% biodegradable high loft
cute little suns!

My initial reaction when opening the bag was: "Wow! These suckers are thin!" So if you're really looking for a diaper that will slenderize your babies back side...these could be the diaper you've been waiting for.  No extra bulk here. The feel is pretty soft and they are completely fragrant free. The design has adorable little discrete gray suns stamped on.  They aren't exactly contoured the way pampers or huggies seem to be...they are quite "rectangular". But I'm not sure if that matters.
One MAJOR downside to these diapers is the velcro only adheres to the front top side of the diaper. So if you to like fold them up and close them tight when they're filled with poo...this is quite a challenge, and at times not even possible.
Cute baby in his new diapers!
Another downside...you only get 36 diapers in a small pack (4 less than the other brands).

MAJOR bonus...these ARE biodegradable. I'm not sure what biodegradable high loft means...but they advertise that these do decompose at a fast rate. So score one for the environment on these babies!

With one day down and 6 diapers used we've had one pee-thru so far.


Little chub wearing Jeans!!



In Other News! Gunnar has a new sleep record of 10 straight hours (which he did on Friday night!) and he is definitely starting to "chub out"!  We were able to put on some pants today!! Crazy!

Also...after 6 months of nursing the final book of "Twilight" I have finally finished it. And now I am desperate for a new "light and fun" read.  Anyone have good suggestions???

Comments

  1. Have you read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett? It is definitely not as fluffy as the Twilight series, but I found it to be totally addictive and wonderful. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, he is chubbing out and M is finally slimming down! M grew nearly 2 inches but gained not much weight since his last appointment, making him 91 or 93 (can't recall) for height but 72 for weight. Light reading - Sophie Kinsella "Can You Keep a Secret?" (much better than Shopaholic) is super light, not as light but impossible to put down - haunting and beautiful - "The Weight of Silence."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sloppy Firsts" by Megan McCafferty (and the four sequels... My favorite book series, even topping Harry Potter)
    "Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me" edited by Ben Karlin (A bunch of hilarious essays. I reread them from time to time, and they always surprise me.)
    "Bridget Jones' Diary" by Helen Fielding (and its sequel... both are way better than the movies)
    "Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if it's just my baby, but we no longer deal with pee-throughs or blowouts. Ever since we started him on his baby cereal and then a little bit of baby food once a day, there are no blowouts. And we haven't had a pee through in a long time, even in the morning. I do use Pampers but I really think we'd currently have the same result with any diaper. No idea how long it'll last though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirstin, how dare you subject our baby Gunnar to this barbaric science experiment! Just kidding. In a few short weeks, there will be another little boy in the family to corroborate your results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts